h1

Has The Revolution Begun?

October 19, 2006

Probably not. But Macintosh users everywhere are taking note of recent positive news about Apple’s Mac market share. According to Gartner, Apple’s US market share is now 6.1% and shows a 31% year-over-year growth rate. For comparison, here’s how the others shake out:

Dell (32.1 percent with -7.1 percent growth); HP (23 percent and 6.3 percent growth); Gateway (6.4 percent with -1.1 percent growth); Apple (6.1 percent and 31 percent growth); and Toshiba (5.1 percent with 22.3 percent growth).

Apple seems to be within striking distance of third place, especially considering their upward momentum and Gateway’s downward movement. But it’s not so much about “winning”; not when we’re still talking single-digit market share numbers. The real takeaway from all this is that both the company and the platform are thriving.

Advertisements

No comments yet

  1. I contributed to that increase. I bought two Macs this year. A mac mini, and most recently a macbook.

    Solid OS bundled with some great apps. Not to say OS X isn’t with its own annoyances, but overall, no looking back for me. We still have our old PC set up with childrens learning games. A few years from now, I am sure the mac mini will replace that and we will likely be windows free (except for my work laptop).


  2. I bought a Mac this year as well. Creating music with the Mac’s assistance has almost always been a good experience. OS X’s system level Audio Units illustrate Apple’s commitment to musicians/composers.

    Music aside, I’d rather check email and do wordprocessing on my old 7100/66 (circa 1993) any day than on my company-provided ThinkPad.


  3. The problem is that even if Apple got 10%, the other 90% would still be Windows machines, regardless of whether the hardware is Dell, Gateway, or whatever.


  4. True, that. One may instead compare “computer operating system” market share, or “platform” (hardware/OS pairings) market share. In those match-ups, Apple is a very tiny player indeed. On the other hand, however relevant this may be to us, the consumer (as when we want to buy software and must shop in the “Mac ghetto” for it instead of the regular Windows software aisles), it’s not as relevant for Apple the company. After all, they sell computers. Their competitors are Dell and Gateway and HP – not Microsoft.

    Because Apple is the only vertically integrated computer company (making the hardware, the OS and several key applications), they are unique truly unique. No matter which way you slice it – computer sales, OS sales, platform sales – it always becomes an Apples to oranges comparison in the end.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: